Writers On Wednesday: Jessica Kirkpatrick

Welcome back to Writers on Wednesday. This week I'm chatting with Jessica Kirkpatrick, author of the horror poetry book, Doll Maker ...

Tell me a bit about yourself …

I'm a senior at Hollins University. I major in Creative Writing there with a minor of Sociology. Its actually snowing outside while I reply to this. Back in July of 2013, I married the love of my life and that following October I had a little boy. Now, Freddie is just the cutest. I could talk about him all day. I grew up in Virginia, USA and my little family and I hope to move away someday.

Tell us about your most recently published book?

Doll Maker is a book of poetry about a serial killer abducting girls and turning them into living dolls before killing them. I based the book off of a bunch of pictures I found online of models who look like dolls. Instead of writing something about the love of porcelain dolls I have, it sort of turned into a horror series of poetry.

Tell us about the first time you were published?

The first time I was published was in issue 52 of Blood Moon Rising Magazine where my short story "Four Ghosts (After One Girl)" was published. That was April of 2013. I'm actually really proud of that, because I never thought I would get published. I couldn't believe that it happened. It was amazing.

As writer, what has been your proudest achievement so far?

Being published for the first time. I'm proud of all my accomplishments--getting Doll Maker published on Amazon--and having another short story published in an anthology (release date TBA), but the first time catapaulted me.

What books or writing projects are you currently working on, if anything?

I'm working on a novel, two if you count the one I put on hold. I'm also working on short stories and poetry to submit to literary magazines. There might be another book of poetry in the works. We'll see.

Which do you prefer? eBooks or Paper Books? Why?

I can handle both. I love my eReader, though because technology absolutely hates me it has some major glitches that others do. I love paper books because I love the smell of the ink on the paper and the feel of something so fragile in my hands. The only thing I hate is getting a paper cut.

Indie Publishing, or Traditional Publishing?

I'd prefer traditional, but Indie is easier. With Amazon, Create Space, Smashwords and more its a little easier. They even have their own templates and ways to help you format correctly.

Aside from your own books, of course, what is one book that you feel everybody should read?

The entire Dresden Files series. I love those books. Jim Butcher does an amazing job of keeping his characters and letting them grow, but still be them. I'm a big fan.

Finally … is there anything you would like to say to your readers in Adelaide, Australia?

I'm not sure if I have any, yet, but I'd be more than happy to have you guys. I'm entirely grateful to all my fans for supporting me.

Awsome Links

Doll Maker


Website:




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Peppermint Patty: I Cried and Cried and Cried

Who Else Writes Like V.C. Andrews?

Phrases and Idioms: Tickets on Himself