Writers on Wednesday: Avril Sabine

Welcome back to Writers on Wednesday. This week I'm chatting with Australian author, Avril Sabine ...




Tell us a bit about yourself …

I've been writing since before I started school and making up stories even before I could write. From the very first book I read, I knew I wanted to be an author. And no matter what has happened in life, I've always written stories. There have been times when life has been far too busy, but even if it meant going without sleep I've continued to write.

Tell us about your most recently published, or about to be published, book?

My most recently published book is part of a five book series, Dragon Blood. It's a young adult urban fantasy set between Queensland, Australia and a dragon world. Amber stumbles upon a dragon race that has the ability to take human form. She's thrust into a world of warriors, assassins, clans and survival of the fittest.

Tell us about the first time you were published?

I actually published four novels all at once. Elf Sight, Dragon Lord, Through Your Eyes and Demon Hunters 1: Blood Sacrifice. They are in different genres with Dragon Lord aimed at children while the rest are young adult. I tend to mostly write fantasy or urban fantasy, but I do enjoy writing other genres. Such as horror, contemporary, paranormal, fairytales, post apocalyptic and thrillers. I guess I just love to write.

As a writer, what has been your proudest achievement so far?

My proudest achievement would have to be the first time I finished a novel. You could call it my first major step on the path I chose to take. It was probably more like a novella in size, but I was twelve years old. Reaching 'The End' of a novel for the very first time was pretty amazing. It took me the entire year and there were moments when I wasn't sure I'd reach the last page, but when I did I felt like I'd climbed Everest. After that, I wrote at least one novel a year all through my teens, sometimes more.

What books or writing projects are you currently working on, if anything?

I always chuckle when people ask me what I'm working on, because I know they're going to get a glazed expression in their eyes when I start listing everything. I don't work on a single novel at a time. I'll write a first draft, set it aside and work on edits for another one. On average, I have anywhere up to twelve books I'm working on. Occasionally more. This gives me a chance to take a break and come back to each of them with a fresh eye in between each edit. One of the books I'm working on is my fourth Demon Hunters novel, which will be out in 2016. There are others that will be finished well before then, including another Fairytales Retold, a children's urban fantasy and a couple of short stories.

Do you have a favourite place to write?

I can write anywhere and often do. It doesn't have to be quiet. I've even started writing at an extremely noisy party because a scene came clearly to mind and I wanted to get every single word down. I've written while a passenger in a car, on a plane, at the beach, in bed, on the couch, outside, on a treadmill, at shops, sitting on a swing at the park and using a voice to text program while doing the housework. And yes, I do use a desk sometimes.

Which do you prefer? eBooks or Paper Books? Why?

I actually love both. I have bookcases full of books. Nearly every room in the house has a bookcase, or several, except the bathroom because all that moisture isn't very good for the paper. I've got books from when I was a child, from when my parents were children and from when my own kids were little. Fiction, nonfiction, magazines, comics. An eclectic mixture of subjects and genres. And I love every single one of them and know I will buy more even though it's an effort finding space for each new book. But, I also love my ebook reader. I've had a few over the years. I love how light it is and how many books I can take with me when I go anywhere and that I can even read articles on it. It's good to use outside on a windy day and not have to fight to keep the pages in place as well as being just the right size to fit in a handbag. I know I've already mentioned it, but it's worth repeating. Ebook readers are amazing because I can carry an entire library with me wherever I go!

Aside from your own books, of course, what is one book that you feel everybody should read?

One book? Seriously? You expect me to be able to choose only one? But that's impossible. How can I choose only one? Maybe one of Scott Westerfeld's books. No, I know, one of Anne McCaffrey's books, or maybe Richelle Mead, or Cassandra Clare or J.K. Rowling, or… oh dear. Maybe I'll just have to draw a name out of a hat because I don't think there's any way I can possibly choose just one favourite author let alone a favourite book.

Finally … is there anything you would like to say to your readers in Adelaide, Australia?

I'm looking forward to visiting your city. I don't know when, but I'll get there eventually. So I need lots of suggestions of places I must see when I get there. Interesting places that tourists don't usually get to see. Places that the locals know and love. They're the kind of places I love to see when I travel. So leave me a message on Facebook or email me and suggest some great places for me to visit.

Links



On my website you'll find links to all my books, my release schedule and blog. You can also sign up to my newsletter to be kept informed about new releases, current projects, exclusive news, blog posts and more.


Book One In My Dragon Blood Series: http://amzn.com/B00SA86A1C

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Peppermint Patty: I Cried and Cried and Cried

Who Else Writes Like V.C. Andrews?

Phrases and Idioms: Tickets on Himself