Writers On Wednesday: Kellie Wallace Talks About Her Latest Historical Fiction Release

Welcome to another great Writers on Wednesday post. This week, I am handing the baton over to Australian author Kellie Wallace who is going to tell us about her latest novel, Her Sweetest Downfall...



Kathryn has given me the opportunity to write a small post today so I'm going to give in to some harmless self promotion. My latest release, historical fiction novel Her Sweetest Downfall gave me another chance to explore my love for the 1940's. I've written two previous books, Darkness before Dawn and Skylark in the same era, and it's a time I just fell in love with. While its hard to visualise the clothes and the environment I know its vivid in my mind and hopefully, my reader's.

Her Sweetest Downfall can be described as a forbidden love story. At the height of the London Blitz, Viola Craft, a sexually repressed young woman is trapped in a loveless marriage to her God fearing husband Vernon. She spends her days working in her mother's dress shop while Vernon pulls the dead from the rubble with his rescue crew.

Their marriage is turbulent and Viola feels pressured to bear a child. After failed attempts, Vernon believes she's barren and alienates himself from their marriage. One night during an air raid, she meets alluring German born Kristoff Richter. They make an instant connection. He's young, good looking and emphatic. They embark on an illicit affair that leads to tragic consequences.


A few years ago, I could pump out three books in one year but I found the quality wasn't substantial – at least to me. When I wrote HSD, I was going through something which hindered my writing. It took almost twelve months to write. The first draft was finished in October 2014 and it was released April 2015. Quite a quick turnaround! I felt the novel represented my ability to get over my hurdles and succeed. I'm very proud of Her Sweetest Downfall and my characters. Any author will tell you they put a little bit of themselves into every character they create. They are our babies, our creations. As I wrote the novel, I felt for Viola and her unfortunate situation. While many will believe she's a weak woman, I wrote her as a voice for any woman out there. While she tries to achieve one thing – happiness – it seems every time she gets close it, someone or something takes it away.

Comments

Unknown said…
Thanks so much Kathryn!
Kathryn White said…
You're more than welcome Kellie. It was a great post :)

Popular posts from this blog

Peppermint Patty: I Cried and Cried and Cried

Who Else Writes Like V.C. Andrews?

Phrases and Idioms: Tickets on Himself