Writers on Wednesday: Alli Sinclair

Welcome to another great Writers on Wednesday interview. This week, I am lucky enough to be chatting with Australian author Alli Sinclair, whose second novel Under the Spanish Stars has just been released. 





Tell me a bit about yourself …

I’m an adventurer at heart and have been lucky enough to visit and live in some amazing parts of the world. I worked as a mountain climbing guide for a few seasons in the Andes and have always had a fascination for exotic destinations, cultures, and languages. My next adventure is never far from my mind, and these days I get to share them with my partner and two children.

Tell me about your most recently published book?

Under the Spanish Stars (published by Harlequin MIRA)

When Charlotte Kavanagh travels to Spain, the land of her ancestors, to discover the mystery behind her grandmother’s painting, she uncovers decades of lies and deception that lead her to question the true meaning of heritage, family, and love.

Under the Spanish Stars is set in beautiful and historic Granada in southern Spain. It gives a taste of flamenco and the gypsy culture, while delving into the turbulent history of Spain in the 1930s and 40s. This book will appeal to anyone who enjoys multi-generational stories that explores the relationships between family, lovers, and self as well readers who enjoy reading stories set in foreign destinations, romance, adventure and a twist of mystery.

Tell us about the first time you were published?

My first novel, Luna Tango, came out in 2014 and I will never forget the day I walked into the local bookstore and saw it on the shelves for the first time. I stared at my book baby in the New Releases section and got all teary. The lovely staff at the book shop thought I was upset and asked if I was okay but when I explained the reason for my tears (of happiness!) they offered to take lots of photos and congratulated me and made a big fuss. After ten years of dreaming about seeing my book on shelves it was lovely to celebrate with such wonderful people (who are now good friends).

As writer, what has been your proudest achievement so far?

Holding a book I’ve written in my hands! It was a surreal moment and one I’ll never forget.

What books or writing projects are you currently working on, if anything?
I’m writing an Australian historical at the moment which is quite the departure from my first two books. But there’s that lovely international flavour with a very gorgeous Italian immigrant, so my love for other cultures will be woven into this storyline.

Which do you prefer? eBooks or Paper Books? Why?

I actually like both. I love the fact I can load multiple books on my iPad when I travel (instead of lugging books that take up valuable suitcase space), but I also like the tactile rush of turning paper pages. So, really, I have a foot in both camps!

Indie Publishing, or Traditional Publishing?

There is definitely room for both Indie and Traditional publishing. If someone has a story to tell, it doesn’t matter how they get it out there, the important thing is people get a chance to experience the worlds and characters a writer creates.

Aside from your own books, of course, what is one book that you feel everybody should read?

Oooh, that is tough! I believe that books are subjective so I don’t think there is any one book for everybody. My personal favourite is A SUITABLE BOY by Vikram Seth. It’s set in India and has an amazing cast of characters, some amazing conflict, a tragic love story or two, and lots of rich culture. Given it is almost 1500 pages (in soft cover), it’s a major undertaking but totally worth the investment of time and effort.

Finally … is there anything you would like to say to your readers in Adelaide, Australia?

Hello from Geelong! My dad is from Adelaide and I still have family in gorgeous Adelaide. We used to travel there nearly every school holidays to hang with my dad’s side of the family and I’ve lost track of how many times I have been there! These days I take my own family over for regular visits. I’m very much looking forward to see Adelaide readers in August when I will be there for the Australian Romance Readers Association book signing (keep an eye out for details! http://www.australianromancereaders.com.au).

Links

BUY LINKS:
Published by Harlequin MIRA (Australia) http://www.harlequinbooks.com.au/product/9781760374181

Under the Spanish Stars is available in print and e-book.
PRINT:






EBOOK:







Ebooks.com - http://www.ebooks.com/2508954/under-the-spanish-stars/sinclair-alli/



WEBSITE/BLOG: www.allisinclair.com                                               

SOCIAL MEDIA LINKS:

Instagram: alli_sinclair
Google +: Alli Sinclair


Alli has a FREE prequel to Under the Spanish Stars available. Links are here: http://www.harlequinbooks.com.au/product/9781489205575

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Peppermint Patty: I Cried and Cried and Cried

Who Else Writes Like V.C. Andrews?

Phrases and Idioms: Tickets on Himself